Monday, September 11, 2006

Captain's Dinner

I just saw Japan. We won't be docking for another 20 hours or so, but we just spotted some of the "outer islands." At least that's what Nurse Deb told me a little while ago. They were a long way away and sort of misty in the distance. People who were trying to take pictures weren't having much luck. I'm ready, and I know all the students are ready, to finally be there. And once we've gotten to Japan we'll have three port stops right in a row. Japan, two days on the ship, China, two days on the ship, then Vietnam. I'm only going to have to work in the library four more days in September. Then I'll get down to the business of "sight-thinking" as they call it on SAS.

We evidently won't have internet while in port in Japan, and I'm not sure how much time I'll have, but I will make every attempt to post a blog or two while we're there. I think I should be able to manage.

I've been meaning to write about the Captain's Dinner for a couple of days and keep putting it off because I don't have any pictures yet. I didn't take my camera, because I didn't want to be the only dork with a camera, so I'm waiting to get pictures from the dorks who did take their cameras. I'll post them as soon as I have some. But before I forget about it, let me tell you. That was probably in the top 5 fanciest meals I've ever had. If you could see how high my pinky is extended right now you would be amazed at the fancy-ness.

We started off at 7:30pm in the faculty staff lounge for cocktails and appetizers. There were about 26 people or so including the officers. It was like mingling around making small talk when there's a rock star in the room (the captain). He was making the rounds though and everyone got to shake his hand and say something stupid to him. I said "Thanks for ordering up such nice weather for the dinner." Lame-o! I had a martini and the appetizers were smoked salmon on toast, pate on toast, blue cheese on toast, etc. After 45 minutes or so of this we went down to the 5th floor dining room, the one that's like the Omni and they had a lovely arrangement of three tables with centerpieces and an elegant jumble of forks and glasses and plates. Each place setting was bread plate/butter knife on the left, 3 forks on the left, main plate, two knives and a soup spoon on the right, three glasses on the top right, and above the main plate a tiny spoon and fork. There were place cards with our names and three servers sat each of us, one to pull out the chair, one to put the napkin in your lap and one to fill up your water glass. The people at my table were Petar Petrov the Chief Engineer, Tony Gomez the Hotel Director, Henry Pontell business prof, Reta Enders Field Office Coordinator, Jane and Dwight Allison adult passengers and Roane Atchurin the Assistant Executive Dean. Pretty much a fun crowd, and since Tony is in charge of all the dining and service on the ship, I think our table got a little something extra.

We started with a really good full bodied white wine. The appetizer was little tiny rosettes of smoked salmon with a creamy dill sauce, no one would start eating because I think we were waiting to see which fork Tony used, before we jumped in (at least I was) but he kept saying "Please, please enjoy yourself." So we all went with the one on the far left, and so did he. Every time I took a sip of wine, someone topped off my glass. Next was a very good cream of spinach soup, then caesar salad with good parmesan. Entrees were a choice of Salmon, Filet Mignon or Tofu, everyone at our table had the filet and it was truly top ass. The conversation was pretty lively, fun, we asked a lot of questions about the ship and Petar and Tony were both happy to share. We talked about our families, and travel and work. While we were waiting for dessert Tony asked me, "Do you like Sambuca?" I said "YEAHHH," and then immediately remembered that it's licorice and I hate licorice. (By the way there was red wine with the filet, so I'd had quite a bit to drink at this point. I asked the steward, "Are you trying to get me drunk?" and he said "Yes.") So Tony whispered to one of the stewards, "psspssspsss," and then they came with enough glasses and Sambuca for just our table. There were coffee beans in the glasses and Tony lit the Sambuca before he served it. Dessert was black forest cake that was about 6 inches tall, and delicious but none of us could finish.

After dinner we all went back to the faculty lounge and I knocked a full glass of wine over.

Yesterday was my day off. Mary and I decided to give each other a break every now and then. Today it's her turn and I'm deadly bored. Yesterday I had every intention of laying out on the deck some, maybe working out. Instead I rinsed out a few things and slept. I didn't even make it to breakfast or lunch. Then, last night I slept a full night too. This is a pretty common phenomenon, many people have reported sleeping much more/much more soundly than usual.

Last night was the cultural preport of Japan, several professors gave talks about Japanese art, music, religion, etc. Tonight is the logistical preport. This is mandatory and will cover things like, how not to get thrown in jail.

Today I'm posting some pictures of the library. It's quite small, but also very popular. A lot of students study in the library and like to meet there and visit with each other. Some profs use the library as an unofficial place to hold office hours. It's in the middle of the ship and is a very pleasant open space.




A view from beind the circulation desk.














A view of the circulation desk














A view of the library from the computer lab.











The door to the circulation desk, from behind the desk. Barbie recommended a swooping move under the counter. My move is more of a hunch 'n' waddle. I have to grab the computer table on the other side to finish pulling myself out and it always startles the students sitting at the computers as I lurch out groaning from underneath there.












Some stacks












More Stacks














Map cases.









Also I'm introducing Sally McBeth. Sally is a professor of Anthroplogy specializing in Native Americans and gender studies. She's originally from Detroit, and was a catholic school girl deep in the heart of most dangerous Detroit back in the day. Now she's on the faculty of University of Northern Colorado. She's got a son and a daughter back home, he son is house sitting for her but is bad and doesn't email her.

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, Blogger BarbieUVA said...

Erika
You probably won't get this until after you leave Kobe, but the Arima spa I went to was Taiko no Yu Spa. It had about 10 different options for baths and was GREAT. Take the subway to somewhere, then get on a train to Arima something. Then switch trains at the last minute for the final stop. Hope the Karoke works out. Great blog.
Barbie

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Deej said...

Hi again,
I love your descriptions of the meal and of everything really.You have put up great pics of the liberry, keep up the good work.
Hope you are having fun in Kobe.
Deej

 

Post a Comment

<< Home