Friday, August 25, 2006

Sorry about the lack of post yesterday, but here's a catch up. Wednesday morning I had scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast and then went back to the library where Barbie had left me a "Pine Bud" Drink and goodbye note. I almost had a panic attack, but pulled through. I didn't have any boxes or barcodes or scanners, so I spent the morning shelf reading and bugging people about my boxes. After lunch which was grilled grouper and green beans the faculty and remainder of the staff boarded the ship. I suddenly went from complete newbie to veteran. It was nerve wracking to have them there, and to suddenly realize I had to be "THE LIBRARIAN." It was also very interesting to put faces to all of the names I had been emailing for months. I couldn't have been more wrong about many of them, as far as how I had pictured them. Someone I had pictured as a 60-ish balding, yet distinguished gentleman was actually a 30 year old hipster woman. I met the assistant librarian, Mary, and her husband, Kelly and we all went to the union for an introductory orientation. Then there was a nice reception with fondue and tiny sandwiches in the faculty/staff lounge. Then dinner, which was minute steaks and mixed veggies, and a very productive faculty meeting. Then social hour where you can use your room key/ship id/debit card to buy drinks, or as some people call it "the magic drinking card."

Today it was a little hard to get out of bed, but I started the day with more scrambled eggs and delicious cornbeef hash. I brought my own mug to breakfast and had a giant cup of coffee. Then it was more faculty meetings and faculty/staff meetings, then lunch (chicken curry YUM! and broccoli and cauliflower). Then miracle of miracles my boxes arrived. Everything that was in the original shipment of 14 boxes came, plus the box with the barcode scanners and a box with a few videos. Mary and I spent most of the rest of the day going through the boxes and putting things on reserve. The new barcode scanners work, so now if I just get my box with the barcodes in it I'll be all set. So now I anxiously awaiting the remaining boxes which have barcodes, videos, proxy logins, paper reserves, and maybe some other things that I don't remember. Maybe ask St. Anthony to help my boxes come tomorrow. Mary and I worked until 9:00pm and put her husband to work as well. He spent at least an hour today trying to figure out an easy way to export the Winnebago records into XML or something. The reports in Winnebago are very limited and it doesn't seem to be possible to select on location or circulation statistics or fund or anything that would be useful to weeding or inventory.

I bugged the IT lady all day about getting my computer to work with the internet. All the other Mac people were online no problem. No one could figure it out. At one point they said "Hurray your computer is online." But it really wasn't. This evening I was upstairs in the lounge and I noticed a couple of Mac people happily googling things in the corner, and I went over and asked if they could get me on. So Joe the textbook guy worked and worked and finally got it to work. I wouldn't say he figured it out, because it's inexplicable. You have to clear out all of the network settings, like ip/subnet/ etc. It can't list anything there. Then you click "renew DHCP lease" then lock the settings. Ta Da. Hopefully this has solved it once and for all. So going up to lounge was actually one of the most productive things all day. I'm writing this now from the comfort of my bed.

I'm making friends, and getting to know people. It's amazing how quickly you get to know people, actually. I like almost everybody, and today when I spoke briefly in the faculty/staff meeting everyone laughed at my jokes (If you don't know what a librarian is you should come and see me right away... Ha Ha HA HA!!). So I instantly liked all of them.

I was going to post some pictures, but it doesn't seen to be working. I'll play around with that tomorrow, and if all else fails I'll put some things in photobucket.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home