Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Day Two in San Diego

Barbie and I really tried to have a productive day today, but things just didn't work out that well for us. The coast guard were on board doing drills. All of the crew were involved with that in some way or another, in fact many of them got into the lifeboats and motored around the ship a bit. We took refuge in the bookstore for awhile and when we got out part of the power to the ship was out and the internet wasn't working. But we did manage to get done what we needed to. I got a bit of shelf-reading done besides.

The computer guy couldn't get my Mac on the internet, but it seems like there's some issue with Mac and the ip address randomly changing? or something? I've been assured that when the ISE computer guys show up they'll be able to get it working. I'm somewhat concerned that I'll need to have IE on my computer, which I don't. I should try getting on with Virtual PC. I'll do that tomorrow.

The library books still are nowhere to be found, but I think the Coast Guard has disrupted the normal flow. There's boxes all over the place, but I haven't managed to find the particular cache of library stuff. I'll have a more thorough search tomorrow.

The ship is a cross between the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-D and camp trailer. Things are futuristic looking and high tech in an early 90's kind of way, but also the doors are all very heavy and there's high thresholds. Odd things have latches on them, like my grandpa's Prowler. It's very nice, and I really like it. The crew is VERY VERY nice. I want to find out how they do their customer service training and try to implement some of that back home. Many of them know my name already and wave enthusiastically whenever they see me. It's disconcerting now, but I know I'm going to take right to it.

I get a few channels of TV in my cabin. Some closed circuit ISE channels and the local NBC and CBS and public access. This morning the San Diego weather man said, "It's going to be hot and sultry today. It's already 69 degrees. Humid air will be moving in off the ocean and with a high of 81 it's going to feel pretty awful. This hot muggy weather makes it feel like waking up in New Mexico." What?

Barbie and I just got back from a wonderful trip to Coronado Island and the Hotel del Coronado. We had wine outside on the beachside and burgers. Then walked down to the beach where the Navy Seals were doing some kind of training in the icy water. It was quite chilly feeling to me. We shared a cab back to downtown with a cute couple from Detroit who were smooching the whole time. I bid farewell to Barbie who's leaving at 0dark:30 tomorrow morning.

Breakfast was Huevos con Chorizo at a local diner and lunch on the ship was a good chicken casserole, green beans and roasted squash (yum).

1 Comments:

At 11:15 AM, Blogger Melinda Baumann said...

Hi Erika,
I love the food commentary. Please keep it coming. Some of us want to eat vicariously. Have a fab trip!!
Melinda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home