Monday, August 21, 2006

The MV Explorer

I'm in the library on ship right now. It's probably about 7:30 or so, and I'm exhausted. Jill and Les from ISE were on my flight out here, and the helped me figure everything out once I got to San Diego. The airport is VERY close to where the ship is and it was a quick jaunt to the ship. I got on board and there were still summer students milling around outside, I found the library right away, but couldn't find Barbie. Some nice folks found me though, and showed me where to get lunch which was cafeteria style. I had some iceberg lettuce and tomato salad with ranch and a piece of fish and some grilled vegetables. The crew in the dining area were very friendly and helpful.

After lunch I had to bring my luggage on board which was spooky. You go through security like at the airport and they open your bags, but then you have to carry them up the huge wobbly stair case (photo coming soon). Some people came to my rescure, luckily.

I found Barbie right away, and not a moment too soon. She showed me what to do to get registered and got me help with my bags. My room isn't as swanky as hers. Two twin beds, a vanity and a tiny bathroom. It's ok, but we're going to talk to Cathy tomorrow to see if I can just have Barbie's old room.

Barbie and I worked in the library for a few hours. We did a little basic orientation, then loaded the VIRGO records (which seemed to work). I forgot to bring a barcode scanner, but Erin's going to get a couple overnighted here. I don't have any of the books or other boxes yet. Jill said they're probably on board, but there's some sort of Coast Guard drill that will prevent them from bringing them to the library for a couple of days (someone ask Doug Hurd).

Barbie and I went for a walk and had a drink, then she went out with the administrative team from the summer trip. I had dinner at a little convenience store/deli place and had a diet cherry pepsi and a pastrami and swiss sandwich.

Now I'm trying to decide between staying up until Barbie get back or going to my room where there's fuzzy ABC and NBC, and going to sleep. I think I'm going to sleep.

My computer won't connect to the wireless network, but the computer guys going to take a look at it. When he gets it going I'll post some pictures of the ship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home