Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

I wish I had more exciting adventures to report to you from Croatia, unfortunately, I spent the entire time suffering in my cabin. I had one of the worst cold I can remember ever having. Tons of mucus and coughing and just a really ill feeling. It was miserable.

I did manage to take a couple of walks, and go to the grocery store a couple of times. So I can report on the fact that Dubrovnik was probably the prettiest place that we've been so far. The grocery stores are also very well stocked and convenient. Everyone agreed that Croatia was absolutely stunningly gorgeous, but many found the Croatians to be distant and unpleasant. I didn't experience that at all, but I had a much more limited experience than most.

The past four days have been full of library busy-ness. I've done a couple of instruction sessions, and have been setting up research appointments with students. Yesterday the proxy server was down, which was extremely bad timing. Mary and Diane Klein and I were planning on having a research and writing clinic, but it was pretty pointless with no databases. Things seem to be working better today, and I think we're going to try it again this evening.

Day before yesterday was the Students of Service auction. People on the ship donated things like vacations at their time share, and neat things they picked up in port. The crew donated things like signed copies of the navigational, manually steering the ship for 5 minutes, and first person off the ship privileges. All in all $18,000 was raised for charity. You can get a full report on these goings on at http://johnston9494.blogspot.com.

Tonight is Thanksgiving as observed on the ship. Turkey and dressing, pumpkin cheesecake, hopefully some green bean casserole. I've also heard rumors that they're going to show a football game on TV.

Tomorrow we dock in Spain. I'm feeling much much better and I'm going to try to make up for lost time in Dubrovnik and have some awesome stories to tell in my blog on my return.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

1 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Blogger BarbieUVA said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Sorry you were sick for Croatia. I'm sure Spain will be great. Wish I'd have thought of the old "help train Erin on ship" thing! Good idea. A few folks from my voyage are taking that trip from Florida to the Bahamas - Ellen (our wonderful nurse) and Rich. You'll like them. We're all looking forward to you getting home. B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home