Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Yet another awesome place

You all must be getting pretty sick of hearing this, but Dubrovnik is so amazing. I haven't seen anything but the old town area, but it's just gorgeous. And to think that I almost missed out on it.

We got in this morning at 8:00 AM the captain blew the horn three times as we passed his house. I didn't see it because I stayed in my cabin, I didn't want the cold wind blowing on me. During breakfast I could barely sit up in my seat I was feeling so cruddy. I got back in bed and watched the diplomatic briefing on TV and pretty much decided I was just going to stay on the ship today.

I got cleaned up though just in case, and went to lunch. I talked it over with Mary and Kelly and told them I thought it would definitely be better for me to stay on ship today. I was headed back to my cabin though and caught a glimpse of the city out the starboard side windows and was enchanted. I stepped outside on the deck and it was a glorious sunny day, so I really had no choice but to go.

It was really a low key tour. Just a few hours and most of it was just strolling around old town part of Dubrovnik. We saw a church, saw a palace, saw an old clock tower. The guide pointed out to us places where you could see damage from the Serbian assault, it might as well have been Napoleon, it seems so distant. The city is completely recovered as far as I can tell. Splendid and quaint and serene. It just seems impossible that it was practically demolished less than 20 years ago.

After the tour was over Kelly and Mary and I met up with Tom and Diane Klein and went to dinner at the coolest place right on the water. I had seafood risotto that's probably the best thing food wise I've had on the trip and a glass of local wine that was dynamite. Then we went and saw Borat, which I didn't like that much, but the Klein's liked a lot. I think Kelly and Mary were pretty luke warm on it too.

Tomorrow I'm off for a couple of days up the coast in Split on an SAS trip. If I'm feeling better after that, but more importantly if Kelly is feeling better (since he's driving) Mary, Kelly and I are getting a car and driving around some in the Split area and staying a couple of nights up there.

1 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Blogger BarbieUVA said...

Wait, wait, let me guess, "your favorite port ... so far."
I've heard wonderful things about it. --B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home